The course has been designed to enable the students to understand and explain the philosophy, principles and operations of Islamic finance including Islamic banking, Islamic financial instruments and Takaful and how they are different from the conventional banking and financial system.
What Will You Learn?
- On completion of this course students will be able to:
- Explain the role of Shari’ah in Islamic finance;
- Explain the meanings of finance and financial system
- Understand the philosophy and principles of Islamic finance.
- Examine the distinguishing features of Islamic Finance
- Explain the major prohibitions in Shari’ah- compliant commercial transactions and their impact on banking business;
- Evaluate the implications of prohibition of Riba, Gharar and gambling on individuals, financial institutions and societies;
- Understand the essentials of all basic modes of business.
- Understand the difference b/w insurance and Takaful
- Evaluate the role of risk-based and equity finance comparing with the risk free finance.
- Apply Islamic principles of Islamic finance to the needs of present day businesses on the basis of modes and procedures in practice.
Chapter 1 Introduction: Finance as a Business; Meanings of finance and financial system; Objectives of Business and Finance in Islam; The concept of intermediation and its basis in the conventional and Islamic framework
Chapter 2 Philosophy of Islamic finance; Riba, Qimar / Maysir and Gharar and how their prohibition affects various businesses and contracts
Chapter 3 Introduction to various categories of contracts, law of contracts, Qard and Dayn in Islamic finance, Implications of Trade, Lease and Shirkah based contracts
Chapter 4 Takaful: Need, Bases and Models
Chapter 5 Shirkah based modes – Musharaka and Mudaraba;
Chapter 6 Workshop on deposit management; Ijarah – lease based financing